I have looked for years for blood oranges in the store it’s not very often I see them. Maybe I look at the wrong time I’m not sure. But recently while at Target I saw them right in front of me. I quickly grabbed them, then was decision time. After searching I found this bar recipe and thought it sounded fun and different.
These were good, we really enjoyed them. I am not a big orange fan so I can’t really tell you the difference between blood oranges and regular other then the color. These bars had a wonderful shortbread crust and then the blood orange filling, delicious.
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup juice, mostly blood orange with some lime
- 2 Tablespoons zest, mostly blood orange with some lime
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1-2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Have a 9×9 pan ready.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the flour and salt. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool. If you don’t let the crust cool, the filling will melt into it.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs until blended, then add juice, zest, and flour. Return to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until set. Allow to cool. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
© 2013, Carrie. All rights reserved.